The Ride We Call Life.

Life is full of ups and downs, speed and relaxation. Please enjoy some of our best moments.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

You might think were crazy. . .


Kathryn has expressed an interest in running. So being the good parents we are :) we decided to train and run a race with her. Or at least a fun run. Immediately I thought of a fun run that is being held to help my cousin with medical costs. (Chemo is not cheap.) Eventually the deadline to sign up rolled around so I made myself stay awake long enough, at least until 10 pm, so I could sign. For some reason I never got around to signing up when the kids were still awake. I even ordered shirts for all of us so we could have matching shirts. It was going to be so fun and I knew we would be so cute.
Training was inventive to say the least. Once I took Kat and Jace on a run around the block twice just before bed. And, Kelly started jogging with Kat the long way to school. He enjoyed teaching her from his vast running knowledge. (He ran cross country and track in high school.)
Well the week of the race started and I for one am excited. I kept mentioning that Saturday we would be running. Then the kids come home with fliers about the school district's Red Ribbon Run. Being drug free is great but we already had a run to do, so I told the kids we couldn't run it. And, things were still as I planned. . .
Until, Kelly saw the fliers a couple days later. He really wanted to do the Red Ribbon Run and his main reason, "We can get performance shirts for just 5 dollars." So in October 15th, Kathryn and Jace did their first and their second fun run.
I'm really glad they did. They did great. Kat ran the first one in about 10 minutes and Jace was only a couple minutes behind. And, Kat was able to run most of the second one. Jace spent most of the second one telling me, "I didn't want to do THIS one." Kat's best line was half way through the first one, "A mile is a lot longer than I thought it was."
Kelly also likes that everyone gets a ribbon with the drug free run. Way to give the kids a sense of accomplishment.
We made it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment